My mom’s favourite breakfast is homemade bread with some nut butter and avocado. She brought a bread machine a few years back and have been making homemade bread since.
She has been using the same recipe that came with the bread machine for years, the kind of recipe that is made for the machine, not too bad and nothing great about it either.
Since my visit in Malaysia this time is longer, I decided to create a multigrain nut + seed bread recipe for mom to use.
I made 4 loaves of the same bread each with little adjustment to the recipe, this one last one is by far the best, with close to 70% of liquid ratio, the bread stays soft and chewy days after baking.
Mom’s bread machine broke after 3rd attempts on this recipe, a workload it is not designed to take, I had to use my sister in law’s KA for my fourth bread and took the opportunity to get one new machine for mom, as the old one is really subpar, and take as much as a new machine’s worth to repair.
250 g Bread flour
50 g quick cook oatmeal
100 g Whole Wheat flour
30 g Sugar
230-240 g nut milk/whole milk
1 Medium/35 g egg （or 25 g of nut milk/water for vegan version）
30 g Butter
4 g Salt
4 g Instant Yeast
80 g Chopped mixed nuts (I used almond/walnut)
20 g Sesame/Flax seeds
100 g old dough from last batch Optional
250 克 高筋面粉
50 克 快熟燕麦
100 克 全麦粉
30 克 糖
230-240 克 植物奶/牛奶
一只/35克 鸡蛋 （全素的可以用25克水/植物奶代替）
4 克 食盐
4 克 酵母粉
80 克 切碎的杏仁/核桃/坚果
20 克 芝麻/亚麻籽
100 克 老面/面肥（可无）
1. Weigh all the dry ingredients out accordingly. Place sugar, yeast and milk (slightly warm or room temperature) in the bread machine or stand mixer. Give it a quick stir and let it proof for 5 minutes until foamy.
2. Whisk bread flour, whole wheat flour, oatmeal and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add flour mixture into the bread machine (with yeast, milk and sugar in it) 1/2 cup at a time with the kneading function on until all the flour are used and the dough starting to form a sticky mass. If you have some old dough at hand and decided to use it, break it into small pieces and add it to the machine while kneading.
Note: It is important to break the old dough into pieces before adding to the machine to prevent uneven kneading.
4. Knead the dough about 6-8 minutes until the dough becomes a smooth ball.
Note: Take out 100 g of the dough and keep it in an airtight container, this is to be saved as old dough for the next batch of bread. You do not have to do this if old dough wasn’t added just now.
5. Add softened (room temperature) butter and knead the dough for 3-5 more minutes, add chopped nuts and seeds, knead until the nuts are all incorporated into the dough.
6. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic and let it rise until double in size, about 45-60 minutes.
7. After it is risen, gently scrape it out onto lightly floured surface, with the help of rolling pin, form the dough into a rectangle.
8. Roll it up into an even log, preferably the same length as your bread pan, cover with lid/plastic and let it raise for 30 more minutes or until it is close to 85-90% filled of the pan.
9. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C), bake the bread for 40-45 minutes, open lid and bake for 5-8 more minutes if you are using a loaf pan with lid.
10. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before removing loaf from pan. Let the loaf cool to room temperature on a rack before slicing and serving.
7. 烤箱预热350 F (180 C), 入烤箱烤40-45分钟, 如果用的是加盖的吐司盒，40分钟后开盖后再烤5-8分钟上色。