I am a freelancer and I have to go to downtown Manhattan often time for work, one of the reason I liked working in NYC despite the dreading commute is the foods out there.
One of the place I really liked and will definitely visit is this small restaurant called “Xi’an Famous Foods" which is known for their Western Chinese cuisines. I love their signature hand-ripped noodle, some called it “Belt noodle" (裤带面) very much, the texture of the noodle is chewy and very flavorful.
On this long weekend I attempted this noodle twice and I have to say, I got the texture and technique right the second time!
200 克 中筋面粉
3 克 面筋粉 可无
100 克 水 (雨天或湿度高的天气可减少1大勺)
4 大勺 黑醋
1.5 大勺 酱油
1/4 小勺 鸡精/鸡高汤
3 大勺 蒜蓉
3 大勺 葱花
1 把 青菜 （小白菜/油菜心/豆苗）
1 杯 的豆芽或芹菜
2 大勺 焙香的芝麻 可无
Ingredients：（Yield 3 bowls）
200 g of All purpose flour
3 g of Vital Wheat Gluten Optional
100 g of Room temperature water (take out 1 tbsp if it is rainy day)
1/4 tsp of salt
4 tbsp of black vinegar
1.5 tbsp of Soy sauce
1/4 tsp of Chicken essence powder or 3 tbsp of chicken stock
3 tbsp of minced garlic
3 tbsp of chopped spring onion
1 bunch of green vegetables such as Bok Choy/Chinese Mustard/Cabbage
1 cup of chopped Chinese Celery or Bean Sprouts
2 tbsp of roasted sesame seeds Optional
1. Dissolved salt in water and add vital wheat gluten to all purpose flour, knead all into a firm smooth dough. Cover with cling wrap and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts, shape into long logs. Brush a plate with cooking oil, place the dough on a plate and brush with more cooking oil over the dough, make sure the doughs are all covered with a layer of oil.
3. Cover the dough with cling wrap and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour, I rest mine for 2 hours.
4. After 1 hour, bring half pot of water with a little salt in it to boil. Take one portion of the dough out, flatten it with a rolling pin to form a rectangle. Press the center with a chopstick or rolling pin to form a shallow impression, this impression will then help to separate the noodles into half later.
5. Hold the two ends of the rectangle and smash it against the table, you should also slightly stretch the dough during the process. The noodle should now look like a flat belt.
6. Break the noodle in the middle along with the chopstick impression/trace we made, you now have two flat noodles!
7. Place the noodle in boiling water and cook at high for 2-3 minutes, do not over cook the noodle. Repeat for the remaining noodles, I normally make two logs at one go, which makes one bowl of noodle.
2. 把面团分成6个等份, 揉成长条状，摆到一个抹了油的盘子上。面团上也刷上食油，盖上保鲜膜继续饧面1-2小时。
3. 1-2 个小时后，先煮上半锅水，水里可以加上1/2小勺的食盐。取一个面团擀成长方型，用筷子或擀面杖在中间压一压，这个压痕能让面条拉长后很容易地掰开成一半。
8. Take the cooked noodle out, drained and place it in a deep bowl. Add green vegetables to blanch. Place blanched vegetables over the noodle.
9. Meanwhile, heat up 3 tbsp of oil. Lightly crush roasted sesame seeds with a rolling pin to bring out the aroma of the sesame seeds.
10. Place 1 tbsp of minced garlic, 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion, about 1 tsp of roasted sesame and 1-2 tsp of chili powder (According to the spiciness of your liking) over noodle.
11. Pour hot oil over the noodle, try to pour it mainly on the chili powder and minced garlic. Mix together vinegar, soy sauce and chicken essence/chicken stock, add 1/3 of this sauce mix to the noodle. Mix well and eat!