Many of our friends are strict vegetarians and Mumbai Pav Bhaji is one of our favourite snacks during gets together. I used to prepare this snack using the shop bought Pav/dinner rolls, until one time a bag of those Pav were left in the refrigerator and forgotten for close to a month! Long after its supposed best consumption date.
What shocked me the most was that the Pav were still as soft and fresh as it was first brought home, as an amateur baker, I know immediately that without additives and chemical ingredients, it is almost impossible to achieve such consistency! That was the last time I brought those Pavs home.
We hosted a farewell party for a family yesterday and I wanted to make Pav Bhaji with home made Pav/dinner rolls. Since my friends are strict vegetarian, thus the Pav has to be eggless. I started scrolling the internet 3 days before the party in search for a good vegetarian Pav recipe, to my surprise, not only there are less than handful of recipes available, the few that made its way to fame are mediocre to say the least.
I then decided to take things in my own hands. With a lot of calculation, a long thought process and 5 hands on attempts, I created a version of Pav that not only matches my taste, it has also passed the color, texture and softness tests!
A keeper for me and you should try it too!
（A）Homemade multigrain bread flour：
120 gm of Multigrain flour
120 gm of All purpose flour
30 gm of Vital Wheat Gluten
20 gm of Homemade multigrain bread flour （See above）
100 ml/gm water
250 gm/ 2 cup Homemade multigrain bread flour (A)
120 gm of Water Roux/TangZhong (B)
100 gm of old dough （Note 1）
45g/ 3 tbsp sugar （Use only 1.5 tbsp for Mumbai Pav）
1/4 tsp/1.5 gm of salt
2 tsp/ 8 gm of active dry yeast
150 ml of milk/any vegan milk
30g/ 2 tbsp Butter/Margarine/coconut oil
1/2 tsp Maple syrup/molasses/honey
1/2 tsp Butter/Margarine/coconut oil
120 克 杂粮粉/Multigrain flour
120 克 中筋面粉/All purpose flour
30克 面筋粉/Vital Wheat Gluten
100 ml/克 水
250 克/ 2 cup 高筋杂粮粉 (A)
120 克的汤种 (B)
100 克 老面 （注 1）
45g/ 3 tbsp 糖 （如果做孟买小吃Pav,糖应减至 1.5 tbsp）
1/4 tsp/1.5 克 盐
2 tsp/ 8 克 既溶酵母
30g/ 2 tbsp 黄油/植物黄油/椰子油
1/2 tsp 枫糖浆/转化糖浆/蜂蜜
1/2 tsp 黄油/植物黄油/椰子油
1. To make water roux/Tangzhong, whisk together water and bread flour until fully incorporated. Heat up on the stove at medium low and continuously stirring using a whisk until thickened. When the consistency is custard-like, it is ready. Let cool.
Note: You can prepare water roux in advance in bigger batch and store it in airtight container for up to a week
4. 启动和面程序，揉面26分钟， （我的象印迷你面包机一个揉面程序是13分钟，走两次程序即可），盖上面包机让面团发酵成双倍大，大约需要30-45分钟，根据气候而定。
2. Place all wet ingredients under dough in the bread machine or stand mixer, add active dry yeast, sugar and water roux, give it a quick stir before adding homemade bread flour and salt.
3. Break old dough into smaller pieces before adding to the machine, this will help to spread the old dough better.
4. Start the dough process on the bread machine and knead the dough for 26 minutes. I am using a Zhojirushi mini, the dough/cookie/pasta process takes 13 minutes for one cycle, I ran it twice. Cover the lid and let the dough rise to double its size, it takes around 30-45 minutes, depending on the weather/temperature in the room.
Note：To check if your dough is rising well, use a finger dusted with little flour and poke a hole into the dough, if the hole does not bounce back, it is ready.
5. Run the dough process again to knead out air in the dough, 1 minute into the process, add butter/Margarine/coconut oil and continue kneading until all of butter/Margarine/coconut oil disappeared.（takes around 8 minutes).
6. Spread a thin layer of butter/Margarine/coconut oil over rhe counter top, place the dough over the counter and cut out 100 gm worth of dough and set aside (Note 1). Divide remaining dough into 9 equal piece, it should be around 65 gm each, shape into balls and place in 8-inch square pan, let rise in warm place.
Note 1：Store this dough in a zip lock bag and store in fridge/freezer to be used as old dough in your next batch of Pav.
7. 面团发酵至差不多双倍大的7-8成时，把烤箱预热至330F （165F)。把1/2小匙的枫糖浆/转化糖浆/蜂蜜加1.5 tsp的水混合之后刷到面团上，等待1-2分钟后再刷一次。
7. When the dough is about 70-80% of doubling in size, (takes about 20-30 minutes). Preheat the oven to 330F （165F), mix 1.5 tsp of water with 1/2 tsp of maple syrup/molasses/honey, brush the mixture over the bread dough, wait for 1-2 minutes and brush another layer.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until done, remove from oven and brush a layer of butter immediately over the pavs, remove from pan and place over a cooling rack.
Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag once it is cooled.
欢迎到我的博客玩 – http://blog.sina.com.cn/spicehunt?
Visit me at – http://www.echoskitchen.com/