Pad Thai is a very common street food in Thailand, especially in Bangkok, those hawkers who made this dish day in and day out do it with such a perfection, they managed to stir in right amount of char to the rather common ingredients of all Thai foods and make it taste so unique and unforgettable!
I have tried Pad Thai in many restaurants here in the states and in Europe, I wouldn’t hide my disappointment, as it is often too oily and way too sweet! I stopped ordering from a restaurant, when I crave for it, I just make it at home, since I almost always have the ingredients needed at home.
尤其是这个Pad Thai，来到了美国变成又甜又腻的炒粉。在泰国，它不是这样的，泰国街边的Pad Thai，干爽，香辣，火候足，颜色没有那么红艳。今天，让我们在家试试泰国街边摊的Pad Thai吧！
300 g Pad Thai noodle (Flat)
8-10 Medium size shrimps
50 g Chicken Breast (slice and marinate with a pinch of salt and pepper）
1/2 piece of firm tofu（cut into 1 mm X 5 mm cubes）
1 cup of Chinese Chive (Cup into 1 inch in length)
1 1/2 cup of Bean Sprout
2-3 cloves of garlic
1-2 tbsp chopped Chinese pickled radish-Chai Poh Optional
2-3 tbsp Peanut （Roasted and crush）
1 piece of lime
2 tbsp Fish Sauce（Or Soy Sauce for vegetarian version）
1 tbsp light Soy Sauce
1 1/2 tbsp Palm or brown sugar ( I used organic coconut sugar)
1 1/2 tsp Tamarind paste（or 2-3 tbsp lime/lemon juice）
1/2 tsp Thai Chili Powder more if you like it hot（or any chilli powder you have）
300 克 泰式或越式河粉 （新鮮的最好）
8-10 只 中蝦
50 克 雞肉 (切片然後加點鹽和胡椒粉醃上十分鐘）
1 只 鸡蛋
1/2 片 豆腐乾（切丁）
1 杯 韭菜 (切段)
1 1/2 杯 豆芽
2-3 瓣 蒜瓣
1-2 tbsp 甜菜脯 Optional
2-3 tbsp 烤花生 （搗碎）
2 tbsp 魚露（素食可用醬油代替）
1 tbsp 醬油/生抽
1 1/2 tbsp 椰糖 Palm Sugar 或紅糖 ( 我用了有機椰糖，whole foods買得到)
1 1/2 tsp 羅望子汁 Tamarind paste（或 1-2 tbsp 檸檬/青檸汁代替）
1/2 tsp 泰式辣椒粉 Thai Chilli Powder 可根據喜好增減
1. Shelled and Veined shrimp, keep the head and shell. Cubed the tofu, chop shallot and garlic. Slice chicken and marinate it with a pinch of salt and pepper.
1. 把蝦去殼去腸泥，蝦頭蝦殼留著。 豆腐切丁，紅蔥和蒜切碎，雞肉切片醃好。
2. In a wok (Cast iron preferred), heat up 2-3 tbsp of oil, add the shrimp head and shells and fry until the oil turn red and the shells become crunchy, dish out and discard, keep only the oil. Stir fry the shrimp, chicken and tofu in the same oil for about 1-2 minute, take it out and set aside.
3. In the same wok, add minced garlic and shallot and pickled radish, stir until fragrant. Add the noodle at high heat, stir fast to loosen the noodle as much as you can.
4. Pour 1 cup of water or chicken stock into the wok, bring to boil, season with tamarind, fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir and turn the noodle while the noodle absorbing the sauces.
5. Add the chili powder now and continue stirring for a few minutes or until the sauce dries up, now push the noodle aside, add around 1 tsp of oil, crack the egg in, quickly crumbled the egg until cooked, fold in the noodle.
6. Add Chinese chive and bean sprout and give it a quick stir to incorporate all ingredients for 1-2 minutes, add the chicken and shrimp to the dish, as soon as the veggies are cooked, it’s done!
Sprinkle roast peanut powder before serving, cut a small lime/lemon wedge, squeeze in lime juice, and here it goes. Bon Appetit!
My little helper pounding on roasted peanuts