I planted some Amaranthus last year during the summer, but the yield was low, I did not uproot the plants and let it die on its own. Little did I know that Amaranthus is so hardy that it survived the winter and came out on its own again this year, only stronger. It gave me palm size leaves that look amazing, though I have not planted much this year, my Amaranthus did give me a chance to enjoy home grown vegetable! I harvest some to make this Pan Mee today, which I made the dough using spinach, I liked that the red Amaranth makes the soup a little pinkish in color, beautiful and full of nutrients!
2 杯 中筋面粉
1/4 小勺 食盐
3/4 杯 菠菜泥 (一大把菠菜加点水磨成泥)
200 克 苋菜/绿色蔬菜
1 大碗的 肉臊
2-3 只 朝天椒
1 杯 江鱼仔 (去头，内脏，洗净)
1/2 杯 红葱酥&葱油
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp of salt
3/4 cup of ground spinach paste (made from a bunch of spinach with little water)
200 gm of Red or green amaranthus/Green Leaves vegetable
1 bowl of Gon Loh Minced meat
2-3 Thai Chili
1 cup of dried anchovies (head and innards removed, cleaned)
1/2 cup of Fried Shallot & Shallot oil
1. Knead together flour, spinach paste and salt to form a stiff dough, you can do it with hand, bread machine or stand mixer, it doesn’t really matter. Just make sure you let the dough rest for about 15 minutes before peeling.
2. Meanwhile, fry anchovies until golden in color and crunchy.
4. When the broth is boiling, turn it to medium heat and start pulling and stretching the dough to form thin layer, peel the layer off into small pieces and into the broth to cook.
5. Stir the pieces in between using a spatula to prevent sticking to bottom. Continue working on the dough if you are working alone, if you have a partner in the kitchen like how we used to back home (mom and I will work in tandem to peel, add the minced meat and peel to speed up the process.) You don’t want the pan mee to be overcooked, overcooked pan mee is soggy and loses its chewiness pretty fast. You do want to work fast or you could make it in small batches like 1 bowl at a time so that it always stays fresh when it is prepared.
6. When you are done working on the dough, crank the heat up to high and bring the broth to boil, season with some salt and add the green vegetables. The noodle is done when the vegetables are cooked.
Clitoria ternatea, common names including butterfly pea, blue pea, Aprajita, Cordofan pea and Asian pigeonwings, is a plant species belonging to the Fabaceae family.
……Names in other languages include bunga telang (Malay), ?????? `anchan (Thai), ??u bi?c (Vietnamese), ???????? Aparajita in Hindi and 蝶豆 dié dòu (Mandarin Chinese), ‘Sankhu Poolu/Sankham Poolu’ in Telugu, “Shankupushpam" in Malayalam language and ???????? (Aparajita) in Bengali.
In Thailand, a syrupy blue drink is made called nam dok anchan (????????????), it is sometimes consumed with a drop of sweet lime juice to increase acidity and turn the juice into pink-purple.
10-12 朵 新鲜或干的蝶豆花
1 + 4 杯 饮用水
2-3 大勺 蜂蜜
1/2 小勺 青柠/柠檬汁
10-12 dried or fresh blue pea flowers
1 + 4 cups of drinking water
2-3 tbsp of honey
1/2 tsp lime/lemon juice
2. Add honey and remaining water, stir well and serve.
3. You can also add a few drops of lime/lemon juice into the drink, it will change the PH level and turn the drink into purple color instantly.
Healthy and beautiful in color, good to serve and surprise your guests!
This time I have used diced chicken and added some long bean, it allows us to have more vegetables and hubby loved it so much, he had 2 plateful!
1 大块/ 200 克 的鸡腿肉切丁
1 杯 豇豆 切丁
3-5 瓣 蒜瓣
2-3 只 泰国朝天椒 （可根据自己的喜好增减）
2 杯 九层塔叶/金不换
1 小勺 酱油/生抽
1 小勺 鱼露/ nam pla
1 小勺 泰式甜酱油/晒油
1 小勺 蚝油
1 piece/ 200 gm of Chicken thigh/breast
1 cup of chopped long bean
3-5 cloves of garlic
2-3 red or green Thai Chilies (Adjust the quantity for the level of heat you like)
2 cups of Holy basil/Tulsi leaves OR Thai Basil leaves
1 tsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp Fish sauce / nam pla
1 tsp Sweet soy sauce
1 tsp Oyster sauce
2. Peeled garlic and remove stem from Thai chilies, pound both in a mortar and pestle until it is crushed.
Note: You can also mince the garlic and chilies on a chopping board, many swear by the difference in taste by pounding the ingredients, which I had come to appreciate very recently.
3. Heat up 2-3 tbsp of oil in a wok/cooking pan, cook the pounded Chilies and garlic until fragrant.
4. Add the diced chicken and long bean, stir until chicken changes color. Season with fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce. Continue cooking for few more minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
5. Add holy basil leaves before turning off the stove, stir until the meat and leaves are well mixed and leaves started wilting.
My husband have this obsession of bananas that it’s almost absurd, he has to bring a bunch of banana back whenever he goes to the grocery store. Needless to say, he goes to the store a little too many times this month, and I was left with a bunch of overripe bananas again.
So I made this cake with the help of my son A yesterday night and had it for breakfast today, the chocolate chips really kick the taste up a notch!
4 ripe large banana or 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana
1 cup of All-purpose flour
1 cup of Multigrain Atta
1/4 cup of Oat bran
1 cup of Brown sugar
3 eggs (Room temperature)
1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup organic whole milk
1/2 cup or 1 stick of Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (if using salted butter, omit this or reduced to half)
5. 烤箱预热至360F (180C).
2. Use a stand mixer/hand mixer to beat butter and sugar until smooth, the texture should look like ice cream.
3. Add one egg at a time, continue beating until fluffy, repeat for all 3 eggs.
4. Fold 1/3 of the flour mix in, add milk and 1/3 of the mashed banana, alternate flour mix and milk until all ingredients are used.
5. Add 3/4 cup of chocolate chips into batter.
6. Preheat oven to 360F (180C).
7. Line an 8 inches baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer batter into the pan, give it a shake to even the surface of the batter. Decorate it with sliced banana and remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
8. Bake cake for 45-50 minutes, test with a bamboo stick, if the stick come out clean, it is done. Cool completely before serving.
2. Heat up a cooking pan/wok with 1 tbsp oil and sliced garlic, place the marinated pork in the pan, and pan fry/sear at medium heat until cooked.
1. 把红薯，芋头和年糕分别切成 1×1 公分宽，8公分长的长条，尽量切得大小一致。
2. Place a piece of spring roll wrapper over the counter, line the yam, sweet potato and Nian Gao sticks in such a way that Nian Gao is in the middle.
3. Brush egg white over all four sides of the wrapper, fold and roll it up like a spring roll. Repeat for the remaining ingredients.
4. Fry at medium-medium low heat until golden in color. Serve warm.
有些人还用食用色素掺入，每层红白相间，十分好看。 节日期间，人们将蒸好的九层糕切成菱形小块，每四块叠成一盘（三块在下，一块在上），先敬神、后敬祖先，然后是全家吃糕。取其吉祥之意。春节时，人们往往以松糕、年糕、煎堆、油角互赠亲友，但九层糕则不赠与别人，据说分给别人会把吉祥分薄，于己不利。 层匀美观，软滑可口，乳香甜润。】资料来源：http://baike.baidu.com/view/121245.htm
I have also learned that 9-layered cake is a specialty made in Hainan and Canton province in China during festive seasons. Its name implies “longevity and growing upwards" It is also something that is made only for prayers and serves only to family members. It is not to be shared with outsiders as luck and prosperity should be preserved within the family.
As its name suggested, there should be nine layers in this kuih, hence I designed my recipe based on that. It is normally made with food coloring (red being the most common choice) in my country. I made mine with pumpkin for its sweetness and bright color, I am really pleased with the color!
For those who has been following my blog, you would have noticed that I had been experimenting with ground rice instead of rice flour in recipes lately. My Chee Cheong Fun (steamed rice rolls) project got me obsessed to ground rice, the texture and taste a freshly ground rice provides is simply out of the world. It is truly worth the while and it is hard to go back to the ordinary rice flour now.
400 毫升/1 听 椰奶/椰浆
A pinch of salt
5. 把一半(550 毫升)的米浆过滤到一个深碗里就是九层糕的白色米浆。
2. Place 320 ml water, 120 g of sugar, salt and pandan leaves in a saucepan/pot, bring to boil and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove pandan leaves and let cool.
3. Steamed pumpkin cubes for 10 minutes or until cooked.
4. Grind rice, coconut milk and pandan syrup together for a few minutes until smooth. Add tapioca flour and run the mixer for a minute until the flour well incorporated.
5. Strain half of the mixture (550 ml) through a sieve into a mixing bowl, this will be our batter for white layers.
6. Add cooked pumpkin into the remaining batter, run the mixer until smooth again, this will be our yellow layers.
8. 取1/2杯 (125 毫升)的黄色/南瓜米浆倒入烤盘里加盖高火蒸3分钟或至定型。打开盖子把1/2杯 (125毫升)的白色米浆倒到刚刚蒸熟的南瓜层上，再蒸3分钟。
8. Pour in 1/2 cup (125 ml) of yellow/pumpkin mixture, cover with lid and steam for 3 minutes or until the batter is cooked. Then add 1/2 cup (125ml) of white mixture onto yellow layer and steam for another 3 minutes.
9. Repeat the steps alternating white and yellow mixture until all the batter is used. Remember to stir the batter every time before pouring for steaming.
10. Steamed the last layer at 13-15 minutes to set the layers and to ensure the cake is fully cooked.
11. Leave the steamed Kuih Lapis to cool completely (around 2 hours), invert the pan to knock out the kuih. Grease knife before cutting.